Niall Loughran - Funeral Director Cookstown   Funeral Director Cookstown Tyrone and Memorial Mason Cookstown Tyrone
Home Funerals Plan Ahead Contacts Contacts
Phone 028 8676 5454 Mobile 077 3254 2229  
In the Event of a Death
A Death At Home

When someone dies at home, their GP should be called as soon as possible.

The GP will normally visit the house and, if the death was expected, should be able to issue a certificate giving the cause of death. If the person did not have a GP or you do not know the name of the GP, an ambulance should be called instead.

A doctor is not allowed to issue a certificate if they are unsure about the cause of death. When this happens the death must be reported to a coroner and the body will be taken to a hospital mortuary, where a post mortem may need to take place.

A Death in Hospital

Before a death can be formally registered, a doctor will need to issue a Medical Certificate of Death giving the cause of death. In hospital, this is usually done by a hospital doctor, who will hand the certificate to you in a sealed envelope addressed to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. If the person has not been seen by a hospital doctor, their GP may be able to issue a certificate instead.

Niall will normally organise the transfer of this certificate.

A Death Abroad

If a death takes place abroad it must be registered according to the law of that country. The death should also be reported to the British / Irish embassy who may be able to arrange for the death to be registered in the UK as well. Returning a body to the UK is expensive but the cost may be covered by any travel insurance taken out by the person.

If the death was not due to natural causes the coroner for the district will also need to be told and an inquest may need to take place. In Northern Ireland a coroner can also arrange a post mortem or an inquest if the family requests it.

Niall can be of great assistance in coordinating the different authorities involved

Sudden Death
Again, your GP should be called. The doctor will report the death to the Coroner, who will then look into the cause of death.
Registering a Death
All deaths must be registered with the local council. This council can be either where the deceased domiciled or died. Some personal details of the deceased are then required. (1) Date of Birth (2) Medical Certificate of Death (3) Occupation and (4) Maiden Name (if applicable). The council Registrar will then issue a Registration of Death certificate which should be forwarded to Niall.
Useful Links
What to do after a death (Citizens Advice Bureau - Northern Ireland)
Copyright © Niall Loughran 2007-16. All rights reserved